Monday, January 23, 2012

Everything and the Kitchen Sink

This morning was one that most in the upper mid-west take in stride during the month of January. Snowy, cold a little freezing rain, just in case you needed a driving challenge. You can see all manner of folks trying to keep warm and accidents galore. A rare sight are the cities homeless - they have generally found shelter for the night and are not out and about in this type of weather. This morning I ran across the rare scene of a man with a bike parked at a major intersection. He had two very large garbage bags which I assume held his life possessions - possibly including the kitchen sink. He was trying to bungy those slippery bags onto the back of his bike - how he was going to ever get on the bike and peddle down the street in the slop and the snow I never did learn, the light turned and I completed my drive to work.

Although I didn't feel comfortable stopping, and I'm not sure he would have accepted anyway, his determination impressed me. He has little in the form of possessions but great determination. Just think, if those of us with warm cars had a portion of the determination and fortitude he showed, what we could do! He has just a little faith that he will load those bags and head on down the road to wherever he was going. I on the other hand have spent the day wondering how I might have helped...here is what I found. Donations to a variety of nonprofits involved in efforts to help the homeless and end homelessness can be made online at GiveMN.org. http://givemn.razoo.com/ 

I chose to give to The Family Place - The Family Place is a day shelter in St. Paul that meets the needs of families experiencing homelessness and helps them achieve stability. Perhaps it's not much but I have a little faith that they and God will do much with it. How about you? What will your contribution be today?




No comments:

Post a Comment